Food Friday Recipe: Pumpkin Buttermilk Biscuits
Chef John Winnek is a cooking instructor with the Price Chopper Market Bistro Cooking School.
Combine one tablespoon of honey with one stick of softened butter and use as a spread for these flaky biscuits!
YIELD: 6 biscuits
PREP TIME: 15 minutes prep/20 minutes baking
1¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup light brown sugar
2½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
¾ cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup buttermilk
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
2. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk, then stir into crumb mixture until just moistened.
4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times.
5. Roll out to a 1-inch thickness.
6. Cut with a floured 2½-inch biscuit cutter.
7. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
8. Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.