Tune into Food Friday this week, when chef Bruce Kazan of Main Course Catering in New Paltz will join us in the studio to talk about catering!
Hudson Valley Duck Pastrami
2 cleaned duck breasts
2 tablespoons oil
Mixture for Dry Cure
3 ounces sugar
2 ounces kosher salt
1 teaspoon coriander
2 each star anise
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 each bay leaves
1. Place duck breast on cutting board, skin side up. Make crisscrossed incision on skin; Make sure not to pierce the flesh.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together. Rub both sides of duck breast generously. Let cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
3. Remove duck breast from refrigerator. Rinse breast well and pat dry with towel.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in iron skillet. On low heat sear the duck breast, skin side down and render fat until thin and crispy about 30 minutes. Turn over and sear other side of breast about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and chill
5. When duck breast has completely chilled, slice thin.