Any Questions #202
It's all monkey business for WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase DOW JONES. Change one letter for a G and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (four letters in each word) that could be used to describe an uptick in the stock market. What is the phrase?
Answer: If you change the J to a G, you can spell GOOD NEWS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MONKEYS
On-air questions: July 10, 1925 was the first day of The State of Tennessee vs. John Thomas Scopes, commonly known as the Scopes Monkey Trial. Scopes, a substitute high school teacher, was accused of violating Tennessee's Butler Act, a law that forbade the teaching of evolution. (Spoiler alert: he was found guilty and fined $100, but the verdict was later overturned on a technicality.) To commemorate this historic trial, our quiz this week is about monkeys.
1. In 1978, an adaptation of a famous 1939 film was released, featuring an African-American cast. In this adaptation, the horde of flying monkeys from the original film is transformed into a gang that rides motorcycles with metal wings. What is the title of the original film?
2. Mizaru, a monkey covering his eyes, Kikazaru, a monkey covering his ears, and Iwazaru, a monkey covering his mouth, originally appeared as a trio over the door of a 17th century Japanese shrine. The monkeys are a pictorial representation of what three-part maxim?
3. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey" is a song that appears on side three of what famous 1968 double album, right after the songs "Sexy Sadie" and "Helter Skelter”?
4. The "Rh factor," the presence or absence of the Rh antigen in red blood cells, is indicated by a positive sign or a negative sign in front of someone's blood type (as in A- or B+). This name was chosen because the antigen was discovered when rabbits were injected with red blood cells from what species of monkey?
5. Katie, a white-headed capuchin monkey, is the "Rally Monkey," the unofficial mascot for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team. Before becoming the Rally Monkey, Katie starred as Marcel, Ross's pet monkey in season one of what long-running NBC sitcom?
1. Introduced in October of 1959 as "the Super-Monkey from Krypton," Beppo was a stowaway on a rocket to Earth, lived in a jungle for a while, then returned to live in Smallville with what young superhero?
2. Brought on as a guest in November of 1979 by Joan Embery of the San Diego Zoo, Pipsqueak was a marmoset who famously urinated on what talk show host?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase SCOPES TRIAL. Rearrange the letters to spell a five-letter word for a device that emits light, and a six letter word for the branch of physics that studies that device. What are the words?
1. The Wizard of Oz
2. "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"
3. The Beatles
4. Rhesus monkey
2. Johnny Carson