Last week's challengeStart with the phrase GARDEN STATE. Rearrange the letters to spell a five-letter word and a six-letter word that can fill in the blanks in this sentence: The ___ kept his baseball-player client informed about any potential ___. Answer: The words are AGENT and TRADES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SILVER THINGSOn-air questions: On June 7, 1977, over one million people lined the streets of London to watch the procession of the Royal Family as they headed to St. Paul's Cathedral to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. The Jubilee marked Elizabeth's quarter-century as the reigning monarch of the United Kingdom. Two days later, she took a boat trip down the Thames in tribute to similar trips made by Elizabeth I. This river journey was mocked on the 7th by the punk band The Sex Pistols, who took their own trip on the Thames, during which they played their version of "God Save the Queen". To commemorate Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee, our questions this week will be about silver things.
1. A fantasy novel titled The Silver Chair, along with Prince Caspian, The Magician's Nephew, and four other novels comprise a series published between 1950 and 1956 and collectively known by what name?
2. Portrayed by Orson Welles in a 1938 radio broadcast and in a 1972 film, by Tim Curry in a 1996 movie starring the Muppets, and by Anthony Quinn in a 1987 television miniseries, what fictional character's pegleg and parrot are often cited as an important influence on the image of pirates in popular culture?
3. Performed by Steve Martin in the 1978 film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what 1969 Beatles song from the album Abbey Road is about the title tool that comes down during the course of the song on the head of a woman named Joan, a teacher, and a judge?
4. The Silver Slugger Award, given to the best offensive player in each position, is voted on annually by the coaches and managers in Major League Baseball. Outfielder Barry Bonds holds the record for most Silver Slugger Awards, winning it twelve times. Tied for the next most wins at ten each are Alex Rodriguez and which catcher, who won ten consecutive years from 1993 to 2002 while playing for the Dodgers, the Marlins and the Mets?
5. Duke Silver, a jazz saxophonist, is revealed to be the alter ego of a government employee named Ron Swanson (portrayed by actor Nick Offerman) in a 2009 second-season episode of what NBC comedy?
Extra credit1. Plata ("silver"), along with reposado ("rested"), añejo ("aged"), and extra añejo ("extra aged") are the four basic categories of what product?
2. Journalist Anderson Cooper, actor George Clooney, and baseball player Duke Snider have all been referred to by what two-word nickname?
This week's challengeStart with the phrase SILVER MEDALS. Change one letter to an F and you can rearrange the result to spell two nicknames (six letters each) of National Hockey League teams. What are the words?
ANSWERSOn-air questions1. The Chronicles of Narnia2. Long John Silver3. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"4. Mike Piazza5. Parks and Recreation
Extra credit1. Tequila2. "Silver Fox"