Any Questions #167
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel hope like elephants, they never forget.
Last week's challenge
Start with the word HALLOWEEN. Change one letter to an S and you can rearrange the result to spell a word the describes how a business might buy some of its products. What is it?
Answer: If you change the N to an S, you can spell WHOLESALE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: ELEPHANTS
On-air questions: a November 7, 1874 cartoon by Thomas Nast in Harper's Weekly is considered the first significant use of an elephant as the symbol of the Republican Party. Titled "The Third-Term Panic," it depicts an elephant with "The Republican Vote" written on it lumbering through a forest scaring other animals. In honor of that cartoon, this week our quiz is about elephants.
1. "Pink Elephants on Parade" is the name of a segment of a 1941 Disney movie in which the title character and his friend Timothy Q. Mouse become intoxicated and hallucinate. They wake up in a tree, at which point they realize the title character can fly. What film is it?
2. Depicted with the head of an elephant, the deity Ganesh is the god of wisdom, knowledge, and new beginnings, and is often regarded as a remover of obstacles. With what religion is Ganesh most commonly associated?
3. A 1937 painting titled Swans Reflecting Elephants depicts three swans sitting in front of trees reflected in a lake. The reflection turns their necks into elephants' trunks, and the trees become the elephant's legs. This work was created by what famous surrealist painter?
4. When Philadelphia businessman Benjamin Shibe's new baseball club was characterized as "a white elephant on his hands," manager Connie Mack defiantly adopted a white elephant as the mascot of the team. What was (and still is) the nickname of this team?
5. In 1940, he hatched an egg. In 1954, he heard a Who. What is the name of this literary elephant created by Dr. Seuss?
1. The 1961 Henry Mancini composition "Baby Elephant Walk" was used as the closing song at Lemonwheel, a 1998 two-day festival hosted by what popular jam band?
2. Elephant Island is perhaps most notable as the refuge for Ernest Shackleton and his crew during the third of his fourth expeditions to where?
This week's challenge
Start with the word ELEPHANT. Change one letter to an O and rearrange the result to spell the name of another animal you might see in Africa. What is it?
3. Salvador Dali