Any Questions #391: "Moose"
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with a show about moose, of all things.Last week's challenge
Start with the word COMPUTER. Change one letter to two of a different letter and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (four letters, five letters) that means "break". What is the phrase?
Answer: If you change the U to two As, you can spell COME APART.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MOOSE
On-air questions: On February 22, 1983, the Broadway play Moose Murders had its one and only performance. Described as a "mystery farce" by its playwright, Arthur Bicknell, Moose Murders tells the story of a group of people trapped in the Wild Moose Lodge in the Adirondack Mountains who decide to play a murder mystery game to pass the time, during which actual murders take place. Its infamy in the world of Broadway flops has made its title shorthand for – and is often referenced in reviews of – similarly-fated shows. To commemorate the singular performance of Moose Murders, this week our questions are about moose.
1. Similar to the young offspring of whales, seals, elephants, bison, and other animals, a young moose is known by what four-letter word?
2. A sculpture titled Moose (W-02-03) by John Kearney was created for a 2006 event known as Artists and Automobiles, which featured works of art made from recycled automobile parts. Created from chrome bumpers, Kearney's sculpture sits on Michigan Avenue across the street from the Wrigley Building in what city?
3. Founded in 1912 by President Theodore Roosevelt after losing the Republican Party nomination to William Howard Taft, the Bull Moose Party was the nickname of what alliteratively-named political party, a nickname it gained after Roosevelt declared he felt "as strong as a bull moose" while on the campaign trail?
4. They were founded in 1994 as the Minnesota Moose and from 2011 to 2015 they were based in Newfoundland and Labrador and known as the St. John's IceCaps. Since then, they've been known as the Manitoba Moose and they play their home games in the arena also home to their parent club, the Jets of the NHL. What Canadian city do the Manitoba Moose call home?
5. A Jack Russell terrier named Moose played the title role in the 2000 film My Dog Skip but is perhaps better known for playing Eddie during the first several seasons of what NBC sitcom spinoff that aired from 1993 to 2004?
1. What character lived in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota and attended Wossamotta U on a football scholarship?
2. Pitcher Mike Mussina, nicknamed "Moose", was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2019. Mussina pitched for the New York Yankees from 2001 to 2008 and for what team from 1991 to 2000?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase MOOSE TRACKS. Rearrange the letters to spell a six-letter word for something you might use to cook meat and a five-letter word for foods that often contain meat. What are the words?
3. Progressive Party
1. Bullwinkle J. Moose
2. Baltimore Orioles