Any Questions #366: "Before And After No. 5"
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with a "before and after" quiz.Last week's challenge
Start with the term FIRE STARTER. Drop an R and you can rearrange the remaining letters to spell two words
(6, 4) often associated with bodies of water. What are the words?
Answer: STRAIT and REEF.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BEFORE AND AFTER #5
On-air questions: It's time once again for one of our recurring categories: Before and After. To refresh everyone's memory: a Before and After is a combination of two things where the last word of the first thing is the first word of the second thing, such as "Murphy's Law & Order". This time around, the first part of each answer will be the title of a well-known work of literature.
1. What 1860s novel chronicles the French invasion of Russia through the lives of five aristocratic families and a U.S. governmental volunteer organization founded in the 1960s to help people in developing countries?
2. What 1945 satirical novel, an allegory about Joseph Stalin and his policies, became the basis for a series of benefit concerts founded by John Cougar Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, and Neil Young that began in 1985?
3. What 1936 novel set in Georgia during the Civil War was adapted into a 1988 hit song for Bette Midler that was featured in the movie Beaches?
4. What 1962 young-adult science fiction novel is about a girl named Meg who, with the help of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which, looks for her missing father who works for a cable company who recently changed its name to Spectrum?
5. What 1830s novel about an orphan who escapes to London and falls in with a gang of pickpockets including The Artful Dodger has a theme song that is a 1960s tune famously covered by the Isley Brothers and the Beatles?
1. What 1937 novel tells the story of George and Lennie, which was adapted into a film about two secret agents who hide the existence of aliens from humans?
2. What 1931 novel about life in a Chinese village before World War I tells the story of Wang Lung, his future wife, and a band known for songs like "September" and "Shining Star"?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase PEACE CORPS. Add a letter, and you can rearrange the result to spell a six-letter word for something coins are often made of and a five-letter word for things you often see on coins. What are the words?
1. War and Peace Corps
2. Animal Farm Aid
3. Gone with The Wind Beneath My Wings
4. A Wrinkle in Time Warner
5. Oliver Twist and Shout
1. Of Mice and Men in Black
2. The Good Earth, Wind and Fire