Any Questions #283 - "B" "L"
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a show about initials.
Last week's challenge
Start with the words LIBERTY and RIGHT. Rearrange the letters to spell two six-letter words: an animal and a number. What are the words?
Answer: THIRTY and GERBIL.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: “B-L”
On-air questions: Mike, it’s been one week since President Trump took office, and that simple fact put a certain No. 1 pop hit from 1998 in my mind: The Barenaked Ladies’ “One Week.” In honor of one of Canada’s most popular exports, which is playing at The Egg in Albany April 21, each correct answer in this week’s show will have the initials B and L.
1. In addition to 26 episodes of the 1960s television series The Green Hornet, which actor born in San Francisco in 1940 also appeared in films like The Big Boss, Fists of Fury and Enter the Dragon?
2. Purchasing three full minutes of ad time at next week’s Super LI, Anheuser-Busch is putting all of it into which brand, whose new slogan is “Famous Among Friends”?
3. Leonardo DiCaprio has appeared in five movies by director Martin Scorsese. But he has also appeared in two films by what Australian director, most recently in 2013?
4. Ironically, Martin Landau won an Oscar for portraying which Hungarian actor, whose last film was Plan 9 From Outer Space in 1959, an award this actor was never even nominated for?
5. Visits to Iceland have doubled in the last six years. One of the most popular attractions is a geothermal spa about an hour from Reykjavik. What is the name of this attraction?
1. What quarterback, drafted seventh overall in the 2003 NFL draft out of Marshall, played for Jacksonville, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and had two stints with Pittsburgh?
2. What Oscar-winning director, screenwriter and actor’s films include Diner, Rain Man, Bugsy, Sleepers, and Good Morning, Vietnam?
This week's challenge
Start with the words BOSTON LEGAL, the David E. Kelley spinoff of The Practice that aired from 2004 to 2008. Rearrange the letters and you can spell the name of two bands. One was formed in L.A. in 1981 and the other in L.A. in 1990.
1. Bruce Lee (his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame wasn’t dedicated until 1993, 20 years after his death)
2. Bud Light (the brand was introduced in 1982 and as of 2012 was the country’s most-purchased beer)
3. Baz Luhrman (Romeo and Juliet, The Great Gatsby) (Luhrman was born Mark Anthony Luhrman)
4. Bela Lugosi
5. Blue Lagoon
1. Byron Leftwich
2. Barry Levinson