Any Questions #244
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats at the wedding reception.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name AARON SPELLING. Rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (five letters, seven letters) that names something an environmentally-conscious person might have installed on their house. What is the phrase?
Answer: SOLAR PANELING
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS WEDDINGS
On-air questions: On this date five years ago, the world stopped to watch the first royal wedding in a generation as Prince William and Kate Middleton tied the knot at Westminster Abbey. Prince William is second in line to the throne, of course. The wedding was viewed by millions around the world and was said to have cost £20 million pounds, with one published report saying the flowers alone were £800,000. So in honor of that wedding to end all weddings, today’s show is all about famous weddings.
1. In 2014, a British-Lebanese lawyer named Amal Alamuddin, who specializes in human rights law, got married in Venice before guests including Matt Damon, John Krasinski, Ellen Barkin and Cindy Crawford, to name a few. Who was the groom?
2. A massacre occurring during the War of the Five Kings as revenge against King Robb Stark results in his death, the death of Queen Talisa and her mother and several others. These series of events is known as the Red Wedding. What is the name of the TV and book series in which these actions occur?
3. Conrad Hilton. Michael Wilding. Mike Todd. Eddie Fisher. Richard Burton. Richard Burton. John Warner. Larry Fortensky. These are the men at the eight weddings of which woman?
4. The wedding between Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII sets in motion the chain of events leading to King George VI overcoming a stutter to deliver an important wartime speech to the British in the 2010 film The King’s Speech. Who won Best Actor honors for playing King George at that year’s Academy Awards?
5. Now with three children, soccer legend Mia Hamm was married in 2003 “before a few hundred guests” in California to which man, a two-time batting champion and former Red Sox shortstop?
1. On December 17th, 1969, Miss Vicki married ukulele musician Tiny Tim with some 40 million people watching. What was the wedding venue?
2. The last White House wedding was in the Rose Garden between Nicole Boxer and Anthony Rodham. During whose term was this ceremony?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase MARRIAGE PROPOSAL. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a two-word term (5,11) that might describe what a marriage proposal might inspire in a skeptical bride. What are the words?
1. George Clooney (Clooney had famously said to Barbara Walters in 1995 “I won’t marry again” and stuck to that line for most of the next two decades.)
2. Game of Thrones (Author George R.R. Martin said of this episode, “When that book came out, I got some amazing letters from people telling how they threw the book into the fireplace and they would never read me again and they hated me.”
3. Elizabeth Taylor (whose last screen role was on the animated series God, The Devil and Bob in 2001).
4. Colin Firth
5. Nomar Garciaparra (he hit .372 in 2000)
1. The Tonight Show
2. Bill Clinton