Any Questions #203
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch sides and take to the seas with their headphones on.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase SCOPES TRIAL. Rearrange the letters to spell a five-letter word for a device that emits light, and a six letter word for the branch of physics that studies that device. What are the words?
Answer: LASER OPTICS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MUSIC AND THE WATER
On-air questions: On this date in 1717, King George I of England and boat full of aristocrats took a cruise on the River Thames as musicians on another barge debuted Handel’s Water Music suites. Many Londoners turned out to hear the concert, and according to contemporary reports King George liked the music so much he ordered repeat performances for the return trip. So today’s show is all about music on the water.
1. Speaking of concerts on the Thames: Rock manager Malcolm McLaren was one of several people arrested after a 1977 punk concert on the river during Queen Elizabeth’s Jubiliee, by which band that sang “God Save The Queen?”
2. Designed by Robert Moses, creator of the surrounding state park, the stage of which Long Island amphitheater — which hosted musicals from its 1952 opening through 1981, starting with A Night In Venice — actually sits in the ocean?
3. A musical called Queen of the Mist that debuted in 2011 is about the life of Annie Edson Taylor, a former music teacher who became the first person to survive what feat on her 63rd birthday in 1901?
4. What Creedence Clearwater Revival song about a riverboat reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and later went to No. 4 in a version by Ike and Tina Turner?
5. A play on a lyric the 2001 hit “Drops of Jupiter,” the third Sail Across The Sun music and wine cruise hosted by which band leaves Miami for Jamaica in February?
1. Sharing the bill at a Hudson riverfront concert as part of Albany’s Alive at Five concert series in 2015, local heroes Blotto and which classic rock band — made famous to a new generation in a Will Ferrell/Christopher Walken SNL skit — also toured together in 1982 and played Alive at Five in 1996?
2. An resort island concert vacation scheduled for January in Jamaica by which band also features solo shows by Isaac, Taylor and Zac?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of orchestral composition “La Mer” composer Claude Debussy. Change one letter to an H and rearrange the letters and you can spell a three-word phrase for something that might keep you from enjoying the weekend. What is the phrase?
1. Sex Pistols (the band played only three more concerts that year and was defunct within seven months)
2. Nikon at Jones Beach Theater (The venue has also been called Jones Beach Marine Theater and Tommy Hilfiger at Jones Beach Theater)
3. Going over Niagara Falls in a barrel
4. “Proud Mary” (Other artists to cover the song include Elvis, George Jones and Leonard Nimoy)
1. Blue Oyster Cult