About a dozen beaches around Vermont, including several in Burlington, were closed Wednesday because of potentially toxic algae blooms.
Several beaches closed Wednesday including Burlington’s North, Leddy and Texaco beaches on Lake Champlain.
Vermont Commissioner of Health Dr. Mark Levine cautioned people to be aware of possible cyanobacteria blooms that can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals. “It can cause skin rashes, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach problems or more serious health concerns. Be especially careful with small children and dogs who may drink or lick the water. You can see what to look for at healthvermont.gov/cyanobacteria.”
Cyanobacteria is also called blue green algae.
The Associated Press contributed to this report. Contents © copyright 2021. All rights reserved.