Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
North Country News
Wed February 13, 2013
Senators Intro Bill to Streamline Postal Service, Save Services
Vermont’s junior Senator has introduced legislation to boost the U.S. Postal Service and save Saturday delivery.
Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders was joined by Democratic Oregon Senator Peter DeFazio in introducing a bill that would protect rural post offices, reinstate Saturday mail, allow the Postal Service to use innovative methods to make money - including issuing hunting and fishing licenses, and allowing shipments of wine and beer.
A key element of the proposal is repeal of a 2006 law that forces the post office pre-fund 75 years of future health care benefits for retirees.
Co-sponsors include Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy and NY Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.