© 2024
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Police Identify Two Boys Who Died In Accidental Fire

Vermont investigators believe the house fire that led to the death of two young brothers was accidental and due to an issue with an electric clothes dryer.
State police on Monday identified the victims of the Saturday morning fire in North Hero as 5-year-old Theodore Maltais and 11-month-old Nathaniel Maltais.

Department of Public Safety Fire & Explosion investigators say the origin of the fire was in the laundry room and believe there was an issue with the electric clothes dryer and its vent system, which had been used an hour before  to the fire.  The home had working smoke detectors and the children’s parents couldn't reach their sons

Theodore was a kindergarten student at the North Hero Elementary School, where grief counselors were available on Monday.
Superintendent Michael Clark says about 50 parents and community members attended a meeting with counselors on Sunday to learn how to talk with children in developmentally appropriate ways about loss, death and grief.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.  Contents © copyright 2019. All rights reserved.