Canada says the Trump administration had been considering a proposal to put troops at the U.S.-Canada border amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Canada said Thursday the proposal was unnecessary and would damage relations between the two longtime allies. The Wall Street Journal then reported that the Trump administration had dropped consideration of the plan.
According to a U.S. official, the Department of Homeland Security did make a formal request to the Pentagon for military forces to provide additional security along the northern border between entry points. But there was no final decision on whether or not to approve the request.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government had been in discussions with the White House seeking to persuade the U.S. not to do it.
Former U.S. ambassador to Canada Bruce Heyman said it would be an inappropriate use of American troops.
All contents © copyright 2020 Associated Press. All rights reserved.