WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel welcome Broadway fanatic and friend of the program Sarah LaDuke to the stage.
Last week's challenge
Start with the title ORPHAN BLACK. Change one letter to a C and you can rearrange the result to spell a six-letter word for a black substance and a five-letter word for a substance that is often white. What are the words?
Answer: If you change the P to a C, you can spell CARBON and CHALK.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BROADWAY ADJECTIVES
On-air questions: OK Mike, on the heels of the release last week of the film version of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “In The Heights,” joining us this week to make her Any Questions debut is WAMC Roundtable producer and musical fanatic Sarah LaDuke, who splits her time between the Great White Way and her couch. In honor of Sarah, this week, I’ll describe some facts about a Broadway show without naming the title, and Sarah, you give me the title. All of the correct answers include a title adjective.
1. Adapted from a 1597 work, it was first adapted as a film in 1961, and an Oscar winner from that film will appear in the latest film version out in December?
2. With a book by Harvey Fierstein and music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper, what production includes 216 pairs of footwear with heels ranging from 4 to 6 inches?
3. Opening with Zero Mostel in the lead role as Pseudolus, what 1962 Broadway show also featuring characters like Erronius, Marcus Lycus and Hysterium won the Tony Award for Best Musical?
4. With songs including “August Winds,” “Island of Souls,” and “Sail Away,” what show added its creator, Sting, to the cast in a bid to stave off closing in late 2014?
5. Although it lost the Tony for Best Play to “The Diary of Anne Frank” in 1956, what play that a year earlier won Tennessee Williams the Pulitzer Prize for Drama has been revived on Broadway in 1974, 1990, 2003 and 2008, with James Earl Jones as Big Daddy?
1. Based on the novel of the same name by Frances Hodgson Burnett, what 1991 Broadway production featured Mandy Patinkin, the late, great Rebecca Luker, and future “Hedwig” creator John Cameron Mitchell?
2. Taking its name from a 1995 rock album, what 2019 Broadway debut includes songs like “Head over Feet” and “Thank U?”
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase THE MUSIC MAN. Rearrange the letters and you can spell the name of a European city and a type of food associated with that city. What are the words?
1. West Side Story (Oscar winner is Rita Moreno, who played Anita in the original and appears in the new Steven Speilberg version)
2. Kinky Boots (The 2005 British film the music is based on was the second film appearance by Nick Frost, one year after his debut in “Shaun of the Dead”)
3. A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (the film adaptation of 1966 features Buster Keaton in his final screen appearance)
4. The Last Ship
5. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
1. The Secret Garden
2. Jagged Little Pill