WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel celebrate the "eve" of a milestone show.
Last week's challenge
Start with a common household item. Drop a B from the word and you can spell a place it’s often kept. What are the words?
Answer: GARBAGE becomes GARAGE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE “EVE” OF A MILESTONE
On-air questions: OK, Ian: this is episode #499 of Any Questions?, which means we are on the eve of a milestone episode for the show. To commemorate this show-before-the-round-number show, each correct answer this week will start with the letters EVE.
1. What national park, created in May of 1934 and located in southern Florida, is the largest tropical wilderness in the United States and was the first national park created to protect an ecosystem?
2. What phenomenon in physics is defined generally as a boundary beyond which things that happen will not affect an outside observer and is commonly used to describe the outer edge of a black hole?
3. Who made more than 75 ramp-to-ramp motorcycle jumps during his career, beginning in 1965 when he jumped over two mountain lions and a 20-foot-long box of rattlesnakes and ending in 1976 when he successfully cleared seven Greyhound buses in Seattle?
4. What English author who was born with the first name Arthur but wrote under his middle name, published his first novel Decline and Fall in 1928 but is perhaps much more well-known for his 1945 novel Brideshead Revisited?
5. What song features the lyrics “You’ll be swell! You’ll be great! / Gonna have the whole world on a plate!” and closes Act 1 of the musical Gypsy, in which it was first sung by Ethel Merman, for whom it would become a signature song?
1. What 1990s sitcom starred Burt Reynolds as a former NFL player who moves to Arkansas to coach a high school football team?
2. Whose final film appearance was as a high school principal in the 1982 sequel to a 1978 film in which she also played that role?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase EVEN THE SCORE. Change one letter to an A and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (eight letters, four letters) that names something you might do to lower your energy bills. What is the phrase?
1. Everglades National Park
2. Event horizon
3. Evel Knievel
4. Evelyn Waugh
5. “Everything’s Coming Up Roses”
1. Evening Shade
2. Eve Arden