WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a Mother's Day show.
Last week's challenge
Start with a one-word proper name much in the news this year. Rearrange the letters and you can spell the two-word name of a hit song from the 1970s. What are the words?
Answer: MODERNA, “DREAM ON.”
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: M-O-M
On-air questions: Sunday is Mother’s Day, so best wishes to all of the moms out there and the people who love them. Including our moms who both listen to this show. In honor of Mother’s Day, I’ve brought some categories. For each, you give me two answers that start with M and one with O to spell M-O-M.
1. U.S. state capitals
2. Current monarchies
3. Top 10 U.S. rivers by length
4. Pulitzer Prize winners for Drama (last names)
5. Best Picture Oscar winners
1. NBA MVP last names
2. Current Big 10 Conference members
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase Mother’s Day. Rearrange the letters and you can spell two related words associated with power. What are they?
1. Madison, Montpelier, Montgomery, Olympia, Oklahoma City (Montpelier in Vermont is America’s smallest state capital; it was chosen as the state capital in 1805 because of its central location when its population was 1,200
2. Malaysia, Monaco, Morocco, Oman (Oman is the oldest independent state in the Arab world, dating to 1744, and its previous sultan served from 1970 to 2020, when he died and was succeeded by a cousin)
3. Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio (those are the only three in the top 10, but if we expanded to the top 25, we could include the Ouachita and Milk)
4. Martyna Majok, David Mamet, Jason Miller, Tad Mosel, Archibald MacLeish, Arthur Miller, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Donald Margulies, Eugene O’Neill (one possible answer here, Clifford Odets, was selected for a Pulitzer in 1954 for “The Flowering Peach,” but the committee overruled the judges and awarded “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” by Tennessee Williams instead.)
5. “Mutiny on the Bounty,” “Mrs. Miniver,” “Marty,” “My Fair Lady,” “Million Dollar Baby,” “Moonlight,” “On The Waterfront,” “Oliver,” “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Ordinary People,” “Out of Africa”
1. Malone (Karl twice and Moses three times), O’Neal (Shaq once) and Olajuwon, McAdoo
2. Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota