WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel start off October with their eyes on the O.C.
Last week's challenge
Start with the letters RBG. Only these consonants appear in the last name of exactly one of RBG’s predecessors on the court. Who is it?
Answer: Warren BURGER
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE BEGINNING OF “OC”TOBER
On-air questions: OK, Ian: it’s the first week of October (also known in 2020 as the 47th week of March). This week, each correct answer is getting into the spirit of the beginning of October by starting the same way: with the letters OC.
1. The name of what ancient wind instrument, officially categorized as a “vessel flute”, appears in the title of the 1998 installment of the Legend of Zelda video game series?
2. Even though the nameplate was taken off before the October 29, 2006 game, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson was fined $5,000 by ESPN for having what written on the back of his jersey during the warm-ups for the game, a moniker he later legally adopted?
3. "Entities are not to be multiplied without necessity", “"That is better and more valuable which requires fewer, other circumstances being equal”, and "the simplest explanation is most likely the right one" are all variations on a principle known as the law of parsimony and more commonly referred to by what two-word name?
4. What six-letter word that comes from the Latin word for “eye” is the name of a circular opening in a dome or a wall, and also precedes “rift” in the name of a line of virtual reality headsets first introduced via a Kickstarter campaign in August of 2012?
5. On Connecticut license plates, it’s “Constitution State”. On Massachusetts license plates, it’s “The Spirit of America”. What is it on Rhode Island license plates?
1. What is the fifth member of a group that includes frontal, limbic, parietal, and temporal?
2. What kind of animal was Babou, a pet owned by Salvador Dalí, which the artist once claimed was a common domestic cat that he had “painted over in an op art design”?
This week's challenge
Start with the title of the 2018 film OCEAN’S EIGHT. Rearrange the letters to spell a four-letter word for a part of the face and a seven-letter word for things that might grow there. What are the words?
2. Ocho Cinco
3. Occam’s Razor
5. Ocean State