WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel mark the "end" of summer.
Last week's challenge
Start with the word VACATION. Rearrange the letters and you can spell an alternate name for someone celebrated this month. Who is it?
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE “END”
On-air questions: It’s the end of summer vacation for many students and teachers, it’s the end of August, and it’s the end of season nine of this show. To mark all of those endings, each correct answer this week will end with the letters END.
1. What 1964 book by Richard Matheson, often cited as an influence on modern zombie and vampire novels, was adapted into the 1964 film The Last Man on Earth, the 1971 film The Omega Man, and a 2007 film with the same name starring Will Smith?
2. In a 1968 interview in Rolling Stone, who explained his band’s latest project by saying, “But what it's really all about is the fact that ... he's seeing things basically as vibrations which we translate as music. That's really what we want to do: create this feeling that when you listen to the music you can actually become aware of the boy”?
3. What three-word phrase completes this quote by comedian Groucho Marx: "Outside of a dog a book is a ___, inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
4. What two-word name is used for the professional theater industry in London, which is derived from the district in London where 39 of the city’s theaters are located, including St. Martin’s Theatre and the Savoy Theatre?
5. Complete the analogy: Erastus Corning 2nd : Albany :: Pete Buttigieg : [?]
1. What word refers to a distribution to stockholders and one of the two numbers used to calculate a quotient?
2. What eight-letter word was chosen by the editors of the New Oxford English Dictionary as the Word of the Year in 2009, prompting Facebook managers to consider using it as the official term for that action?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase URBAN LEGEND. Change one letter to an R and you can rearrange the result to spell the two-word name (five letters, six letters) of a film from 1982. What is the film?
1. I Am Legend
2. Pete Townshend
3. Man’s best friend
4. West End
5. South Bend