WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel make it a "long" weekend.
Last week's challenge
Start with the words FATHER AND MOTHER. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a state capital and a greenhouse gas. What are the words?
Answer: HARTFORD and METHANE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: A “LONG” NIGHT OF TRIVIA
On-air questions: It’s been a long summer so far, a long year overall, and last Saturday was the day with the longest period of daylight in the Northern Hemisphere, so it feels appropriate to play a game of Categories using the word “long”. I’ll give you a category and you come up with something in that category that starts with each of the letters L, O, N, and G.
1. Words on road signs in the U.S.
2. Best Picture-winning films
3. Words in the titles of plays by Shakespeare
4. Official U.S. state nicknames
5. Two-word names of colors in the original 64-color box of Crayola crayons
1. Words on a Monopoly board
2. Two-syllable words that end in X
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase LONG DISTANCES. Rearrange the letters to spell two words (six letters and seven letters) that name things made by pouring a substance into molds. What are the words?
1. Lane, left, limit, low / On, one / Narrow, new, no / Gear, grade, green
2. Lawrence of Arabia / Oliver!, On The Waterfront, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Ordinary People, Out of Africa / No Country For Old Men / Gandhi, Gentleman’s Agreement, Gigi, Gladiator, Going My Way, Gone With The Wind, Grand Hotel, Green Book
3. Labours, Lear, Like, Lost, Love’s / Othello / Night, Night’s, Noble, Nothing / Gentlemen
4. Land of 10,000 Lakes, Land of Enchantment, Last Frontier, Lone Star State / Ocean State, Old Dominion State, Old Line State / Natural State / Garden State, Gem State, Golden State, Grand Canyon St, Granite State, Great Lakes State, Green Mountain State
5. Lemon Yellow, Light Blue / Olive Green, Orange-Red, Orange-Yellow / Navy Blue / Green-Yellow, Green-Blue
1. Line, Luxury / Oriental / New, North / Gardens, Go
2. Latex, larynx, lockbox / Onyx, outfox / Narthex / Gearbox, gravlax