WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel plot some virtual trips.
Last week's challenge
100, 1, 5, 1, 100 is another way of describing what popular car?
Answer: CIVIC (Roman numerals)
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: WHERE AM I?
On-air questions: Unfortunately, many of us aren’t traveling as much these days, so I thought we’d take some trips tonight. I’m going to describe a journey and you tell me where I end up.
1. I start at the Washington Monument and walk directly west past the World War II Memorial and along the length of the Reflecting Pool. What landmark am I standing in front of?
2. I get on a boat in the Black Sea and travel along the Danube River. I pass three of the four capital cities along the river – Belgrade, Serbia; Budapest, Hungary; and Bratislava, Slovakia; before stopping in the fourth capital city on the Danube. In what city am I?
3. I get on the 101 Freeway in Hollywood and travel south. I take the Alvarado Street exit and turn left onto Alvarado Street, then right onto Sunset Boulevard. I drive for about a mile and turn left on to Vin Scully Avenue. I enter the Sunset Gate. What building am I at?
4. I leave Earth's atmosphere and pass the moons known as Deimos and Phobos. I go through an asteroid belt and land on the next planet in our solar system. What planet am I on?
5. I am traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Where am I?
1. I drive on Interstate 80, starting just south of Chicago. I follow the highway east as it crosses three state borders. What state am I in?
2. I board a southbound Amtrak Empire Service train at the Albany-Rensselaer station. I get off the train three stops later. Which city am I in?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase TAKES A TRIP. Rearrange the letters to spell a six-letter word for a type of waterway and a four-letter word for part of a landmass. What are the words?
1. Lincoln Memorial
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Dodger Stadium
5. The Twilight Zone