Last week's challenge
Start with the word PENULTIMATE. Change one letter to an S and you can spell a five-letter word for a person associated with religion and a six-letter word for a building associated with religion. What are the words?
Answer: If you change the U to an S, you can spell SAINT and TEMPLE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE USFL PLAYS CATEGORIES
On-air questions: On March 6, 1983, the first games of the United States Football League were played. The USFL was the brainchild of businessman David Dixon, who saw a market for a football league that played in the summer, when no NFL games were scheduled. In 1983, the league was comprised of twelve teams including the Boston Breakers, the Birmingham Stallions, and the Los Angeles Express. The team owners voted to switch to a fall schedule for the 1986 season, which led to mergers, an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, and ultimately, the dissolution of the USFL after they were awarded a $3 judgment. The payment was made in 1990, including 76 cents interest, but the check has apparently never been cashed. To commemorate the first USFL games, this week we'll play Categories. I'll give you a category and you come up with things in that category that begin with each of the letters U, S, F, and L.
1. Mobile phone apps
2. Counties in New York State
3. Stringed instruments
4. One-word country names that also have one of the other three letters in their names
5. Words in the titles of feature-length films by Pixar Animation Studios
1. Parts of a human head
2. Words on a U.S. one-dollar bill
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase FOOTBALL GAME. Change one letter to a W and you can spell an eight-letter word for something Lady and the Tramp probably ate and a four-letter word for something either Lady or the Tramp might say. What are the words?
1. Uber / Shazam, Skype, Snapchat, Spotify / Facebook / Lyft (among other possibilities)
2. Ulster / St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Suffolk, Sullivan / Franklin, Fulton / Lewis, Livingston
3. Ukulele / Sitar, samisen / Fiddle / Lute, lyre (among other possibilities)
4. Uzbekistan / Senegal, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Switzerland / Finland / Laos, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
5. University, Up / Story / Finding / Life
1. Uvula / Scalp, sinus / Face, forehead, frontal lobe / Lips (among other possibilities)
2. United, Unum / Seal, Secretary, series, States / Federal, for / Legal (also possibly St. and San, depending on which Federal Reserve District issued the bill)