WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel have a "real" good "time."
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase BROKEN HEART. Add a letter and you can spell two six-letter words that each mean to annoy. What are the words?
Answer: If you add an L, you can spell BOTHER and RANKLE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: “REAL “TIME”
On-air questions: On this date in 2003, “Real Time With Bill Maher” debuted on HBO. Following Maher’s ouster from ABC and his show “Politically Incorrect,” “Real Time” has now aired more than 500 episodes. In honor of today’s anniversary, all of the answers will contain either “real” or “time.”
1. The only nominee for Best Picture at this year’s Academy Awards that fits the category.
2. What MTV series began in New York City with 13 episodes in 1992 and was still chugging along in Atlanta for the first time in 2019?
3. Britney Spears has topped the Billboard Hot 100 charts six times over her career, as late as 2011 with “I Wanna Go.” What was her first No. 1 hit, way back in 1999?
4. What is the name of the team founded back in 1902 that plays its home matches about five miles from the Prado, and features defensive captain Sergio Ramos?
5. Let’s stick with Spanish for question five. Published 18 years after “One Hundred Years Of Solitude”, what is the name of the Gabriel Garcia Marquez book that features, in part, a character named Dr. Urbino’s efforts to eradicate disease?
1. There are three songs by The Who that fit today’s category: the b-side “Time Is Passing,” “Real Good Looking Boy,” and what track from 1973’s “Quadrophenia?”
2. Charles Lindbergh first received the title in 1927, but only one person, FDR, has been named what three separate times?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of a company much in the news this year. Remove two consecutive letters also often mentioned in the news and you can spell the former name of a country. What are the words?
1. "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood” (This was Quentin Tarantino’s 10th film as a director, and the third time he was up for Best Director, which he has yet to win)
2. "The Real World” (There have been 33 seasons of “The Real World,” but for four seasons between 2014 and 2017, it was known as simply “Real World.”)
3. "…Baby One More Time,” also the name of her debut album, which went 14 times platinum (Its second single also fits today’s category – “Sometimes.”)
4. Real Madrid (or Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, it become “real,” or royal, in 1920 when the Spanish crown became part of its logo)
5. "Love In the Time Of Cholera"
1. "The Real Me"
2. "Time Person of the Year"