WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel welcome Jim Levulis to the show as the first guest of 2020.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase END OF THE YEAR. Change one letter to a T and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (seven letters, five letters) for what someone might do on a hot summer day. What is the phrase?
Answer: If you change the of the Es to a T, you can spell HYDRATE OFTEN.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SUCCESSORS
On-air questions: OK, Ian, it's our first show of 2020, and what better way to start 2020 than with a Special Guest Answerer. This time, it's someone to whom our listeners have been listening to for the past 25 minutes or so: the new host of Northeast Report Late Edition, Jim Levulis. (Hey, Jim.) Bonus fact: Jim is only the second Special Guest Answerer who has been with us in the studio, the first being Mike Doughty. OK, Jim: since you are succeeding the recently-retired Brian Shields as the host of Northeast Report Late Edition, your questions are about successors.
1. Who became the seventh Chief Operating Officer of Apple, Inc. when he succeeded Steve Jobs in August of 2011, after Jobs stepped down to become chairman of Apple's board of directors?
2. He succeeded Joe Frazier in New York in 1977, Bobby Cox in Atlanta in 1982, Whitey Herzog in St. Louis in 1990, Buck Showalter in New York in 1996, and Grady Little in Los Angeles in 2007. Who is he?
3. A list of thirteen people begins with a man named William Hartnell and includes Tom Baker, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, and ends with Jodie Whittaker. Whittaker, who succeeded actor Peter Capaldi in the role in December of 2017, became the first woman among that list of thirteen people to portray what sci-fi character in its 56-year history?
4. In 2003, who succeeded as the lead vocalist in a certain rock band a man named Gary Cherone, seven years after Cherone succeeded him, and was then himself succeeded in 2007 by David Lee Roth, the singer he had succeeded back in 1985?
5. In 1942, who succeeded Herman F. Hoogkamp, who was completing the term of John Boyd Thacher II, to become not only the longest-serving mayor of Albany, but of any major U.S. city, remaining in office for just over 41 years?
1. As of 2019, the only two Secretaries-General of the United Nations to be born on the continent of Africa were Boutros Boutros-Ghali and what other man, who succeeded Boutros-Ghali in 1997 to become the seventh Secretary-General of the U.N.?
2. In 1964, the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge in New York City surpassed what bridge as the longest suspension bridge in the United States?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of our special guest JIM LEVULIS. Change one letter to an E and you can rearrange the result to spell the first names (five letters each) of two people each known for starring in movie musicals in the 1960s. What are the names?
1. Tim Cook
2. Joe Torre
3. Doctor Who
4. Sammy Hagar
5. Erastus Corning 2nd
1. Kofi Annan
2. Golden Gate Bridge