WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with season nine.
Last week's challenge
Start with the last name of a well-known Oscar-winning actor. Change one letter, and you can spell a last name found in the title of a 2013 film he starred in. What are the names?
Answer: HANKS, “SAVING MR. BANKS”
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: GROUPS OF NINE
On-air questions: Happy Season Nine! To celebrate the occasion, our questions this week are about a category of things that the seasons of this show are now a part of: groups of nine.
1. Associated with subjects such as love poetry, epic poetry, dance, and other arts and sciences, Erato, Calliope, and Terpsichore are three of the nine goddesses who inspired writers, scientists, and artists and are collectively known by what name?
2. He was created in 1939 by Robert L. May for the department store Montgomery Ward, became the subject of a 1949 hit song by Gene Autry, and is now widely considered the ninth member of a group of eight that first appeared in the 1823 poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas". By what name do we know this ninth group member?
3. While technically a spinoff from the main series, a 2019 movie commonly referred to as Hobbs & Shaw starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham as the title characters is the ninth movie in what action-movie franchise, whose original trilogy ended with a film subtitled Tokyo Drift?
4. Who said in 2015, twenty-two years after her appointment to the group of nine she is referencing: "People ask me sometimes, when do you think it will be enough? When will there be enough women on the court? And my answer is when there are nine."
5. In the original version of the board game Clue, the ballroom comes alphabetically first in a list of the nine rooms on the game board. What room comes alphabetically second?
1. Which of the nine characters shown in the opening credits of the television show The Brady Bunch is in the center of the three-by-three square?
2. The nine positions in baseball are designated by the numbers one through nine. What three position numbers were involved in the famous double play by Tinker, Evers, and Chance?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase NINE MUSES. Rearrange the letters to spell a four-letter word and a two-word phrase each of which you might see on the entrance to a restroom. What are they?
3. The Fast and the Furious
4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
5. Billiard Room