WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for their last quiz before Monday's February Fund Drive.
Last week's challenge
Start with the word ANTISEPTIC. Add a letter and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (four letters, seven letters) for someone who might need an antiseptic. What is the phrase?
Answer: SICK PATIENT
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "P-S”
On-air questions: The February Fund Drive starts on Monday. We have to reach our goal of $1 million to keep WAMC alive. So far, the Locked Box has gotten us off to a great start. Over the years, Pete Seeger helped us end many fund drives with concerts, interview CDs, and more. This May marks his centennial. In honor of Pete, all of the correct answers this week are two-word terms with the initials P-S.
1. Which Western Conference NBA team’s retired numbers include 7 for Kevin Johnson, 9 for Dan Majerle, 13 for Steve Nash and 34 for Charles Barkley?
2. Known as Farmers’ High School when it was founded six years before the Civil War, what public university with more than 46,000 students is located amid geographic areas known as Happy Valley and Nittany Valley?
3. Also the name of a 1989 single by John Cougar Mellencamp, what term applies to Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson and Adam Levine, to name a few?
4. What name is missing from the following list: Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, _______?
5. Jordan Belfort’s rise and fall in the world of finance was the subject of the 2013 film “The Wolf of Wall Street.” As shown in the film, before he was eventually charged with fraud, Belfort got his start selling what?
1. The 1996 comedy Sgt. Bilko, starring Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd, is an adaptation of an eponymous 1950s television show starring whom?
2. Who was the first — and to date only — recipient of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song in 2007?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase FOLK SINGER. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a six-letter competitor and a four-letter verb associated with that type of competitor. What are the words?
1. Phoenix Suns (in their 50th season, the Suns have never won an NBA championship and haven’t reached the Finals since losing to the Bulls in 1993)
2. Penn State
3. Pop Singer (“Pop Singer” includes the lyrics “Never wanted to be no pop singer, Never wanted to write no pop songs. Never had no weird hair to get my songs over. Never wanted to hang out after the show.”)
4. Paul Stanley (because this is the original lineup of the ban KISS; Stanley, The Starchild, and Simmons are the original members now on the group’s farewell tour)
5. Penny stocks (“Wolf of Wall Street” was nominated for five Oscars, winning none)
1. Phil Silvers
2. Paul Simon