WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back for their first show of November.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase ORDERED LIST. Change one letter to a W and you can spell the four-letter last name of an actor on a certain 1960s television show and the seven-letter name of a villain on that show. What are the names?
Answer: If you change the O to a W, you can spell WEST and RIDDLER.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TWENTY-ONE
On-air questions: On November 2, 1959, Charles Van Doren admitted to the House Subcommittee on Legislative Oversight that he was given the questions and answers for his appearances on the game show Twenty-One. Introduced as a contestant in November of 1956, Van Doren's reign as champion lasted until March of 1957, when he was defeated by Vivienne Nearing. Herb Stempel, the contestant directed to lose to Van Doren, later admitted he was given the answers, which began the investigation into Twenty-One and other game shows of the era. The subsequent scandal was depicted in the 1994 movie Quiz Show, starring Ralph Fiennes as Van Doren. To commemorate Van Doren's testimony about Twenty-One, this week our questions are about the number 21.
1. Element number 21 on the periodic table is scandium, a metallic element discovered in 1879 by analyzing two minerals found in what region of Europe, after which the element was named?
2. Released in January of 2011, an album titled 21 features songs called "Rolling in the Deep", "Rumour Has It", and "Set Fire to the Rain". The album is the second of three albums with a title that references the age of the singer when the album was released. What English singer released 21?
3. The 2008 film 21, about a group of MIT students who use a sophisticated card-counting system while playing blackjack, is based on a book titled Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich. Mezrich also wrote the 2009 book The Accidental Billionaires, which was adapted into what 2010 film directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin?
4. Preceded by 13 and followed by 34, the number 21 is the seventh number in a sequence in which the next number is determined by adding the two previous numbers. This sequence is named for what Italian mathematician, who introduced the sequence to Europeans in a 1202 book through a problem about rabbit breeding?
5. Passed in July of 1984, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act set at 21 the age at which people could legally purchase and publicly possess alcoholic beverages, and reduced federal transportation funds to states that failed to comply. Although the name implies differently, the act did not actually prohibit people under 21 from doing what?
1. Before late 2001, the rules set by the International Table Tennis Federation specified that table tennis games were played to 21 points. At that time, the winning score was changed to what?
2. There are some two dozen highways called County Route 21 throughout New York State, including one that begins at the New Jersey state line, travels through Warwick, and ends at New York State Route 94 in what county?
This week's challenge
Start with the name VAN DOREN. Add a letter and you can rearrange the result to spell a five-letter word that can precede the word "gas" and a four-letter word that can follow the word "gas" to make common two-word phrases. What are the words?
3. The Social Network
5. Consuming alcohol
2. Orange County