WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel swap spots for the final quiz before the February Fund Drive.
Last week's challenge: Start with the phrase ROCKY ROAD. Change one letter to a B and you can spell a two-word phrase (four letters, five letters) that names something you might stick things to. What is it?
Answer: Change a Y to a B and you can spell CORK BOARD.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: LOCKED “BOX”
On-air questions: This is our final show before the February Fund Drive. As usual, there is still time for faithful WAMC listeners to make a Locked Box donation to shorten the drive. In honor of the Locked Box, today’s quiz is all about “box.”
1. Beginning his career with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1990-91 season, NHL great Jaromir Jagr was still active as of earlier this season. During his career, he has spent a total of 1,167 minutes, or roughly 19 and a half hours, where?
2. “Man in the Box,” written by Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley, was the closing song at Alice in Chains’ finaly concert with Layne Staley in 1996. Released six months before Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in March 1991, “Man in the Box” is considered one of the first breakout hits for what music movement?
3. Found in North America exclusively, what animal with the scientific name terrapene carolina typically lives to 100 years old in the wild?
4. What derisive term for television that dates to the 1950s was also the name of a six-episode sketch comedy show that aired on MTV from 1990-1991?
5. The terrific stage and screen actor Bill Camp starred in the 2016 eight-part series “The Night Of,” about the investigation into a homicide, as retiring Detective Dennis Box. On what similarly named network did “The Night Of” air?
1. A group of superheroes known as Alpha Flight, which originated in the X-Men comics, includes superhero from Saskatchewan known as Roger Bochs who loses both of his legs and creates a remote-controlled robot called Box. What company, acquired by Disney in 2009, distributed the Box comic books?
2. The 2009 film “The Box” is a psychological thriller that stars James Marsden, Frank Langella and what actress, whose first film role was as Tina Carlyle in “The Mask” 25 years earlier?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase FUNDRAISERS. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a seven-letter type of seafood, and a related four-letter word. What are the words?
1. Penalty box (Jagr has won two Stanley Cups, but none since 1992)
2. Grunge (it was nominated for the Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance in 1992)
3. The box turtle (box turtles are omnivorous, but eat mainly meat when young)
4. The Idiot Box (the show was created by Tom Stern and Alex Winter, of Bill and Ted fame)
5. HBO (Home Box Office; “The Night Of” was nominated for 13 Emmys, winning four)
1. Marvel Comics
2. Cameron Diaz