Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Sat March 16, 2013
Vermont Psychiatric Hospital Facing Sanctions
The Brattleboro Retreat psychiatric hospital is once again facing sanctions from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
A February survey found the hospital wasn't following its own quality assessment and performance improvement program.
According to the Brattleboro Reformer, CEO Rob Simpson said in a letter to employees CMS considers the deficiencies serious enough to limit the hospital's capacity to render adequate care.
The Retreat will now be subject to an unannounced Medicare survey from the Vermont Division of Licensing and Protection. The Retreat will then have to submit a plan for correcting the deficiencies.
Simpson said he's optimistic the problems can be fixed.
The Retreat has been contending with a series of visits from CMS after a patient stole drugs and died from an overdose last year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.