Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Fri March 8, 2013
Vermont Newspaper Criticized for Poster Typeface
The headmaster of a private Vermont school that also serves students in St. Johnsbury says none of the school's Asian students were bothered by a poster used to boost the school's basketball team that used the term "Fry Rice" with a typeface that mimicked Chinese calligraphy.
St. Johnsbury Academy Headmaster Tom Lovett made the comments after the Caledonian Record newspaper ran the full-page poster on the back of its main section ahead of Thursday's state championship basketball game.
The Asian American Journalists Association said it was appalled by what it called the page's racist undertones.
Rice Memorial High School of South Burlington won Thursday's game 48-40.
Caledonian Record Publisher Todd Smith says he would write an editorial on the topic.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.