Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Fri February 22, 2013
Springfield City Library To Mark Centennial
One of the largest resource libraries in western Massachusetts is marking its first century with an appeal for public help.
The Springfield City Library is holding an anniversary gala the evening of April 20th in the rotunda of the central library. Proceeds will go to the non profit, Friends of the City Library. The organization’s president Mary Ann Maloney says the group has raised $300,000 in recent years to augment shrinking library budgets
City budget cuts have reduced the library’s hours of operation and even forced a temporary closure of some neighborhood branch libraries last summer. More than 225 thousand items were checked out of the Springfield central library last year.