Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
Hudson Valley News
Tue August 14, 2012
Probation expected for NY babysitter
A Westchester County woman is expected to get probation after pleading guilty to endangering a child who died at her illegal home daycare. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
The Journal News says Maria Villaloja of Ossining will be sentenced Oct. 31. She pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor last Thursday.
Charges against her husband were dismissed in May. Prosecutors said he was not home when the April 2011 tragedy occurred.
Prosecutors said the sleeping baby apparently suffocated after pulling a blanket over her head. Monica Yunga was 5 months old. Monica was one of seven babies in the apartment.
Authorities say the couple previously had been warned about providing unlicensed childcare.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.