Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New York News
Mon December 31, 2012
"Polar Plunge" Site Moved
An invasive species has forced an annual event to a new location - more from WAMC's Dave Lucas
For years, upwards of 1500 people have flocked to Shepard Park Beach each New Year's Day for the "Polar Plunge" but the Saratogian reports that, this year, an infestation of Asian Clams has necessitated a change-of-venue - swimmers will hit the icy waters of Lake George's Million Dollar Beach at 1pm Tueday.
The newspaper says the Polar Plunge was started in the early 1970s by Charles “Papa Bear” Albert --- it has grown to become one of the Northeast’s largest New Year’s Day coldwater swims.