Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New York News
Mon April 23, 2012
NYS Police Will Target NY Drivers on Cell Phones
NYS police are on the lookout for drivers illegally using cell phones and other electronic devices.
"Operation Hang Up" starts Monday and runs through next Sunday.
The first "Operation Hang Up" campaign took place over last year's Thanksgiving holiday. Troopers ticketed more than 800 drivers.
The enforcement campaign is funded through a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a new law to strengthen enforcement of texting-while-driving violations last July. The law makes texting while driving a primary traffic offense, giving police the power to stop drivers solely for texting.
Also, the penalty for using a handheld device while driving has been increased from two to three points on your license.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.