Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Thu December 27, 2012
NY pumps money into maker of guns used in slayings
New York has invested nearly $6 million over the past three years subsidizing the upstate factory that makes legal firearms as well as the semiautomatic rifles like those used to kill 20 children in Connecticut and two firefighters outside Rochester. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
Some elected leaders want tighter restrictions on those guns but none say it's time to stop supporting Remington Arms Co. and its nearly 1,000 jobs in the central New York community of Ilion.
In 2011, Bushmaster Firearms relocated to Ilion from Windham, Maine, bringing more than 40 jobs. A Bushmaster rifle was used in both recent mass shootings.
A year earlier, New York provided $2.5 million to help Remington bring its Marlin lever-action gun production from Connecticut and add 100 jobs. That followed two grants in 2009 worth $3 million.
© 2012 ap