Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Thu November 1, 2012
NY-NJ port opens for gas delivery amid shortages
Sen. Charles Schumer says the U.S. Coast Guard is reopening New York and New Jersey ports to restore gasoline and fuel to the areas hit hardest by Superstorm Sandy. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports.
The limited opening of the Port of New York and New Jersey to allow for fuel deliveries is aimed at stemming the widespread shortages and massive lines at gas stations in the two states.
Schumer tells The Associated Press he spoke with the Coast Guard Wednesday, and the Coast Guard began the reopening process shortly after noon Thursday.
The Coast Guard had shut down the port as a precaution against the superstorm.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.