Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New York News
Tue April 17, 2012
NY Advocates Say Condom Evidence Is Unhealthy
Advocates for New York sex workers are coming to Albany to push for legislation that would ban condoms as evidence in prostitution cases, arguing the law-enforcement tactic is bad for public health.
WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
The group plans to release a report Tuesday showing that fear of police confiscation and arrest has prompted some workers to carry fewer or no condoms and have sex without them, raising the risk of sexually transmitted diseases. They'll be joined by lawmakers who support pending Senate and Assembly bills.
The 2010 and 2011 surveys of sex workers documented in the report were conducted by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and by the PROS Network, a coalition of workers and advocates.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.