Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Mon August 20, 2012
New Ice Rink to Be Built in Stowe, Vermont
The resort community of Stowe, Vt., will be getting a new multimillion-dollar ice rink.
Town officials say the current arena is suffering from some structural problems. They have been looking at replacing it for about a decade.
Residents narrowly voted down the proposal for the rink last year. But they voted in favor of it in March after a successful campaign.
Vermont Public Radio reports supporters say the rink, estimated to cost at least $6.5 million, will bring in revenue. There's interest in bringing in hockey and figure skating events and skating camps. The rink would be open year round.
Construction will start in the spring, and the rink is expected to be done by fall.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.