Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu August 30, 2012
New England Unemployment Rate Rises
The unemployment rate in New England climbed in July but remains below the national average.
The New England office of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said Thursday the jobless rate in the six-state region was 7.1 percent last month, up from 6.8 percent in June.
Rhode Island's 10.8 percent unemployment rate is the highest in New England and the second highest in the U.S.
By contrast, Vermont's rate of 5 percent is the lowest in the region and the fifth lowest in the country.
The national jobless rate in July was 8.3 percent.
The New England rate is down seven-tenths of a percentage point from a year ago.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.