Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu July 26, 2012
Nearly Two Dozen New Charter Schools Proposed In Massachusetts
Nearly two dozen preliminary applications have been filled for new charter schools in Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The Massachusetts Department of Education said it received prospectuses from 22 groups hoping to open new charter schools… The increase, from seven applications last year, is a result of state education officials lifting a moratorium on new applications in communities that were nearing statutory enrollment caps. Four applications for new charter schools in the greater Springfield area were filed. Full applications from groups that pass the first round review are due in November. The State Board of Education is expected to vote to award new charters at a meeting in February.