Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Tue October 2, 2012
Name of slain upstate NY college student released
Authorities have released the name of a college student who was found beaten to death inside her dormitory room at a western New York college. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports. Officials at the State University of New York College at Brockport say 18-year-old Alexandra Kogut of New Hartford was a freshman majoring in communication. The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says her body was found shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday in her dorm room at SUNY Brockport, 15 miles west of Rochester. About an hour later, police arrested her boyfriend at a Thruway rest stop near Syracuse. Authorities have charged 21-year-old Clayton Whittemore of New Hartford with second-degree murder. Whittemore is enrolled at Utica College. He has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is being held without bail in the Monroe County Jail.