Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
North Country News
Wed January 30, 2013
McKibben Tells Vermont Lawmakers to Act Now on Climate
Writer and environmental activist Bill McKibben is urging Vermont lawmakers to pass a big expansion of weatherization programs and block tar sands oil from being shipped on a pipeline that crosses northern Vermont.
Speaking to a joint session of the Vermont Legislature, McKibben warned on Wednesday that the planet is warming rapidly and that steps need to be taken immediately to slow or reverse the trend.
He said failure to act will bring more frequent storms like Tropical Storm Irene, which wreaked havoc on Vermont in late August of 2011.
McKibben's speech followed a morning of testimony at the Statehouse by business leaders and others on what they're doing to adapt to climate change.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Commentary & Opinion