Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Tue July 24, 2012
Massachusetts Lottery Hits Sales Record
It was a record breaking year for the state lottery in Massachusetts, as we hear from WAMC’s Paul Tuthill
State Treasurer Steven Grossman said Tuesday that the lottery pulled in an estimated $981 million in net profit during the state fiscal year that ended June 30. That was the highest profit in the lottery's 40-year history, eclipsing by $30 million the previous record set in fiscal year 2006.
Lottery officials say the record-breaking profit was also $87 million above what was initially projected for the 12-month period. Lottery proceeds are returned to Massachusetts cities and towns as unrestricted local aid.
In total, lottery sales in the last fiscal year reached $4.7 billion, surpassing the previous record set in fiscal year 2008 by $31 million.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.