Most Active Stories
- Dr. Jeffrianne Wilder, University of North Florida – Skin Color and Racism
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Thu July 19, 2012
Massachusetts Loses Jobs In June As Unemployment Rate Holds Steady
The unemployment rate in Massachusetts held steady in June, but the state’s economy lost jobs for the first time in seven months . WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Massachusetts lost an estimated 26 hundred jobs in June. The unemployment rate remained at 6%, according to the latest report from the state’s office of Labor and Workforce Development. Robert Nakosteen, a professor of economics at UMass Amherst, says in the face of a stalling national recovery and global economic worries, businesses in Massachusetts are skittish when it comes to hiring people
Employment numbers for May were revised to show Massachusetts gained 5000 jobs 1500 fewer than initially estimated.