Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New England News
Wed May 2, 2012
MA Releases Additional Tornado Relief Funds
The Patrick administration has released an additional $520,000 in tornado relief funds for Western Massachusetts. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports…
Most of the money is for home repairs in the nine communities hit hardest by the June 1st natural disaster, according to the announcement from the Department of Housing and Community Development.
Homeowners whose insurance settlement didn’t cover all the damage can apply for grants up to $15,000. The funds will be administered by the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission. $65,000 will be used by the town of Monson to hire a disaster recovery manager. $30,000 is going to a Springfield social service agency to help disaster victims with their income tax filings.
The funds are from a $15 million supplemental budget the legislature approved last year for the state’s emergency response.
Paul Tuthill, WAMC News.