Most Active Stories
- Dr. Jeffrianne Wilder, University of North Florida – Skin Color and Racism
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Wed June 27, 2012
Jobless Rate Ticks Down in Region in May; RI Leads
New England's unemployment rate ticked down one-tenth of a percentage point in May and is near its lowest level since January 2009. WAMC’s Lucas Willard reports…
The New England office of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said Tuesday the jobless rate in the region was 6.8 percent last month, down from 6.9 percent in April. Officials say it has fallen 1.1 by percent in the last year.
The national rate is 8.2 percent.
Rhode Island has the highest unemployment rate in the region, at 11 percent, and the second highest in the United States. Nevada's is 11.6 percent.
Vermont's unemployment rate of 4.6 percent is the lowest in the region and the fourth lowest in the U.S.
Lucas Willard, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.