Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Thu November 15, 2012
GE Healthcare Lays Off 10 Percent
GE Healthcare is laying off about 10 percent of its approximately 500 employees at its Vermont operation in South Burlington.
But the company says it will try to find "alternate roles" for the workers.
GE Healthcare spokesman Benjamin Fox says the company needed to "make tough decisions in the current business climate."
Fox wouldn't say how many workers 10 percent represented, but the Burlington Free Press (http://bfpne.ws/ZBHr4W) is reporting the company had 527 workers last January.
GE Healthcare specializes in information technology for the health care industry
Vermont Deputy Commerce Secretary Patricia Moulton Powden says the loss of jobs is tragic, but there are other high-tech companies in the area looking for talented employees.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.