Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Mon October 10, 2011
Dr. Calvin Chen, Mount Holyoke College - Chinese Factories and Italian Fashion
Albany, NY – In today's Academic Minute, Dr. Calvin Chen of Mount Holyoke College explains the Italian fashion industry's increasing reliance on factories owned and operated by Chinese emigrants.
Calvin Chen is an associate professor of politics at Mount Holyoke College where his research interests include the political economy of East Asia, Chinese politics, work and labor politics, and rural economic development. In the 1990s, Chen lived and labored alongside Chinese workers in Zhejiang province south of Shanghai, interacting with former farmers to better understand the success of their collective and private manufacturing enterprises. Chen holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.