Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Mon March 4, 2013
Cuomo sees federal budget impact on New Yorkers
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the federal budget fight forcing temporary across-the-board spending cuts will affect New Yorkers including students and seniors.
He says the cuts won't have as big an impact on state government.
The dispute between Democratic President Barack Obama and the Republican-led House over spending cuts and tax increases led to automatic cuts that started Friday.
Cuomo says brinksmanship isn't the way to do business and makes people anxious.
Financially, he says the cuts will have "some effect" on New York's government, but more on people who lose needed federal assistance.
State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli says local governments are already struggling, and New York could lose billions of dollars over the next few years from cuts.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.