Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New York News
Wed January 2, 2013
Cuomo commission pushes longer school day, year
Many of the recommendations released Wednesday have been proposed before but blocked by politics or lack of funding. Gov. Andrew Cuomo says those remain major obstacles.
Some of the ideas are already in place to some degree, including teacher competency tests and using schools to address health, mental health and other social needs.
The commission noted Finland recruits the top 10 percent of college graduates into teaching, while the United States draws from the bottom third or half.
It also wants to reward top educators and consolidate administrations.
Cuomo may back some of the proposals in his State of the State speech.
© 2013 AP
New England News
Hudson Valley News